Examinations at CHDC
At Camden Hills Dental Care we know that the key to keeping your smile healthy is regular care and prevention. Your initial visit with us helps set that important foundation. Most initial visits are for a comprehensive exam; in the event of a dental emergency, however, your first visit will focus on addressing your immediate problem.
Your Comprehensive Exam is the Starting Point for Your Care
We provide a comprehensive dental exam to all our new adult patients, as indicated by the American Dental Association.
Your initial visit(s) for a comprehensive dental exam, which will take approximately one or two hour sessions and involves a thorough evaluation of your overall dental health.
Our comprehensive exam includes:
- Listening to your desires and concerns
- Medical history review (How any new medical conditions or illnesses may affect your dental health)
- Oral cancer screening (The face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums will be checked for any signs of oral cancer)
- Periodontal examination, (The gums and bone around the teeth will be checked for any evidence of disease)
- Tooth and Restorative status, (Cracked or decayed teeth, Condition of existing fillings, etc.)
- Evaluation of your occlusion status (how your teeth fit together)
- Evaluation of your jaw function, temporomandibular joint and associated muscles (TMJ/TMD)
- Aesthetic baseline documentation (Also, if desired, proactive documentation for the incorporation of any preferred enhancements for your smile)
- Adjunctive diagnostics used during this process will likely include: Digital Radiographs (diagnostic x-rays to reveal any other hidden problems, especially in the areas below the gums ), Diagnostic Photographs, and Custom models of your teeth.
Your Personal Consultation
The information that we discover during the comprehensive exam helps us to formulate a complete diagnosis as well as long-range treatment options based on your individual needs.
After your exam, you will return for a personalized consultation visit, during which we will explain our findings, your options, and our recommendations. We want you to have the best possible information concerning your options.
We’re proud to invest this time with you. It sets the foundation for achieving and maintaining your individual dental goals.
(As you may have noticed, plaque and tartar removal are not part of the comprehensive exam. These important treatments are actually performed during a separately scheduled Hygiene session. This approach ensures that you receive the best service and the most appropriate care)
Children’s (Pediatric) first visits
At Camden Hills Dental Care, the Doctors and their staff work to start and keep children’s dental care positive and enjoyable. This usually begins with a visit with one of our outstanding hygienist. Our hygienist and your child will explore their teeth at your child’s age and comfort level. Depending on the child’s age this may consist of “tickle polishing”, “counting teeth” with the hygienist and Doctor, as well as appropriate lessons on snacks and brushing. Older children may also need radiographs (X-rays) and more adult-like “cleaning” of their teeth, all still within our positive experience philosophy.
First Visits and Dental Emergencies
In some cases, your first visit with us may be due to an acute problem, such as injury, bleeding, or severe pain. The good news is that we can get you in quickly – usually the same day – for a shorter exam to address your immediate problem. After your dental emergency is addressed, we will find a convenient time for you to return for a full evaluation and comprehensive dental exam.