Implants may be the best option for replacing a single or multiple missing teeth or to improve retention for a denture or partial. An implant is a metal post that is attached directly to the jawbone. After the bone and surrounding tissue has healed an artificial tooth can be attached to the implant. Implants provide additional benefits compared to bridgework as they do not depend on neighboring teeth for structural support and cannot get cavities.
Implants are the closest dental structure in durability to natural teeth and may have the greatest degree of cosmetic appeal.
Implants are used to:
- Replace missing teeth
- Prevent teeth from shifting
- Correct bite issues due to missing teeth
- Help prevent jaw joint problems from altered bite
- Improve appearance for cosmetic reasons
- Help retain a denture or partial